During the COVID-19 pandemic, many countries will require you to show evidence of a recent negative COVID-19 test before you’re allowed to enter. If you’re going someplace that requires a travel certificate, issued 72 hours before travelling to prove that you don’t have COVID-19, our Fit-to-Fly Travel Test is the right test for you.
If you think there’s a chance that you do have COVID-19, please don’t book this test. Just stay calm, stay at home and get a free test on the NHS.
The price listed here does not include the cost of delivering the samples to the lab.
How does the test work?
You should time your order carefully. The test must be done shortly before you travel for the result to be considered valid, but you also need to allow enough time to get the results before you’re scheduled to leave.
If you are opting for the home test, order the test as soon as possible in order to make sure that you can mail your sample back to the lab 72 hours before you are due to travel.
Medical services are always busy, and they’re especially busy at the moment. Please keep the timings in mind to get your results on time.
If you are getting swabbed in store, we recommend having your appointment between 60 and 72 hours before you’re due to travel.
If you selected In Store Testing, please wear a mask or face covering. It makes a genuine difference to both our safety and yours. You’ll need to remove it briefly for the swab test, so you may want to bring hand sanitiser to make sure your hands are clean during and after handling your mask.
For the safety of our staff and other customers, please don’t book an appointment or come in if you have any symptoms of COVID-19, if anyone in your household has symptoms of COVID-19, or if you’ve recently been in contact with anyone who has COVID-19. In that instance, please select the option Home Test Kit
If you or anyone you’ve been around develops COVID-19 symptoms or tests positive please stay at home and follow government guidance.
Frequently Asked Questions
The COVID-19 PCR Travel Test is for people who have no current COVID-19 symptoms but need to confirm, for travel reasons, that they don’t have COVID-19. You’ll need to be at least six years old to take this test.
If you think you might currently have COVID-19, or if you have any COVID-19 symptoms, please don’t book this test or come in to the pharmacy. Instead, stay at home and arrange a free test on the NHS.
Yes. Please chose the Home Test Kit option in the menu.
If you selected In Store Testing, the appointment itself will take about 12 minutes. You’ll usually receive your results within 48 hours.
You’ll need to book your test appointment in advance. Once you’ve ordered the test here on the website, you’ll receive a link to register with the lab’s portal. After you’ve registered, you’ll be able to book your appointment through the portal.
Don’t forget your portal registration details, as the portal is also where you’ll get your test results.
We recommend having your appointment between 72 and 60 hours before you’re due to travel. If you book earlier, your test may be considered too long ago and therefore not valid for travel. If you book later, you may not get your results in time.
If you’re getting a test to reduce your quarantine time after returning to the UK, you’ll need to take the test at least five full days after arriving in the UK.
Please bring your passport or driving licence with you as proof of identity. We’ll need to be able to confirm your identity before we can give you the test.
Please wear a mask to your appointment, or another appropriate face covering. You may also want to bring hand sanitiser for handling your mask, which will need to be removed temporarily for the test.
You’ll be able to see your results in the laboratory portal once they’re ready, which should take about 48 hours from your appointment. You’ll get an email to let you know when you can access your results. If you don’t have COVID-19, you’ll also be able to download your travel certificate from the portal.
When you purchase your kit on our website for home delivery, we aim to ship your test same day during business hours or next day if you place your order after 6PM. We use Royal Mail Tracked 24 for all our deliveries which aims to deliver within 24 hours but is not guaranteed. For more information on their timings, please visit Royal Mail.
The foreign travel advice section on the UK government website can let you know what the current rules are for entering particular countries.
A COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test checks to see if the COVID-19 virus is currently in your body.
For this test, you’ll have your nose and/or throat swabbed to collect a sample. We’ll send this sample to the lab, which will add a reagent to see whether there’s any COVID-19 in the sample. If you have COVID-19, the reagent will cause a reaction and the virus will multiply, making it easy to detect it.
Most tests won’t have any problems. Occasionally, though, the results might be inconclusive. If this happens, we’ll let you know and we’ll refund you for the test.
If you still want to have the test done, you can book a second test with us. We’ll try to help you arrange an appointment at a time that suits you, but we can’t guarantee that you’ll be able to book your retest within a particular time frame; in some cases it may not be possible to book a second test in time for your travel plans. As you’ll have been refunded for the first test, you’ll need to pay the usual test price for the second.
Although we’ll pay you back for the inconclusive test itself, VSM Pharmacy will not be liable for any other costs incurred as a result of an inconclusive or positive test.
Absolutely! Your sample will be tested at a laboratory accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service, which is recognised by the government.
You should receive an email letting you know when your results are ready, but, if it’s been 48 hours since your sample was collected and the email hasn’t arrived yet, log on to your laboratory portal account to see if your results are already there. If not, give us a call on 01276 21002.
Terms and Conditions
- You cannot come in to take this test if you think you may have COVID-19, if you have symptoms of COVID-19, or if anyone in your household or support bubble has COVID-19.
- If you have already paid for your test, you will receive a full refund if you cancel in advance on account of developing COVID-19 symptoms, due to COVID-19 symptoms appearing in your household or support bubble, or due to a change in travel plans.
- You must be at least 6 years old to take this test.
- You must bring your passport or driving licence to the appointment as proof of identity. If the pharmacy cannot verify your identity, you will not be able to take this test. This would obviously not apply if you are self testing at home.
- Different countries have different travel restrictions. Before booking this test, check the requirements of the place you intend to travel to. Some destinations may not require a test, or may not allow entry at all, even if this test gives you a negative result.
- If you need this test to clear yourself for travel, you must book your appointment more than 60 hours before you travel, but fewer than 72 hours before you travel.
- We understand that travel is time-sensitive, and we’ll try our best to make sure you will receive your result within 48 hours of the swab being taken, but we cannot guarantee this.
- VSM Pharmacy will not be held liable for any losses or costs incurred as a result of delays in receiving test results, as a result of inconclusive test results, or as a result of the outcome of your test. If your test is positive, for example, you may not be able to travel; VSM Pharmacy will not be liable for this.
- Our COVID-19 testing service is subject to the availability of stock and trained staff.